Which of my services would you be interested in?

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Rhubarb Candy

( I started this post in Aug)

Wow. Has it really been a year since I posted??!! So life has been crazy of course.  Who's life hasn't!  I got back from a very productive and some fun trip to my home town of Wasilla, Alaska. I was up there taking care of family stuff. I feel good about what got accomplished.  Brought many family pictures home to organize and catalog.

When I was up there I was introduced to homemade Rhubarb candy.  Get the sweet and sour thing going at the same time!! It is sooooo simple.  Cut up your rhubarb into about 1/4 to 1/2 inch chunks. Put in a bowl and puts sugar over the top (depends on how much rhubarb you have). Stir to coat rhubarb. For a big Tupperware bowl I used about 2 1/2 cups. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at least 24 hours up to six days! If it is only one day you can leave it out on the counter.  If longer put in refrigerator. I was going to stir it every day but I forgot.  It was fine though.  The sugar pulls out the water from the rhubarb and sweetens it.  Drain off liquid and save to make something yummy with and then dehydrate the rhubarb at 135 F til supple but not squishy wet or dried out. Again depends on how much you are dehydrating, size of dehydrator, how many trays, and so on.  Some people like it plain like that or shake on powdered sugar to give it more sweet.  It is great both ways!
Cut up Rhubarb,before sugar





No comments:

Post a Comment